We have a brand new website and a brand new blog! We’d love for you to take a look!
Calluna Events blog
Calluna Events website
Virginia + Jeff
Private Residence :: Aspen, CO
It’s truly an honor when another wedding planner as us to assist with their wedding plans. So when Virginia of Bluebird Productions, an Aspen based wedding and event planning company asked us to help with the final details and Day of Coordination for her stunning Aspen wedding we were beyond humbled and truly excited to partner with her on her big day.
Prior to opening Bluebird Productions with her business partner Chelsea, Virginia worked at the Little Nell, one of Aspen’s most luxurious hotel properties. Her background and connections there allowed she and Chelsea to seamlessly open Bluebird and they have a young but thriving event planning business that competes with some of the best planners in all of the state. It was no surprise that Virginia teamed up with some of the best of the best in the wedding industry in Colorado for her April wedding.
We were on site the week of to manage the full production and set up of the platform and tent installation as well as major lighting, draping and AV from Halcyon Productions. The multi day installation saw some challenges at the private residence due to a last minute snow storm. However all the vendors, along with some of Jeff’s friends from the Aspen Fire Department, rallied and coordinated the set up seamlessly. Rentals were provided by both Event Rents Denver and Bethel Rentals in Aspen. The delicious course dinner was provided by ASC Aspen. Bobby Yang came in to perform for the dinner and reception and it was such as treat to see him live!
And the light flurries of snow during the ceremony was welcomed, as Virginia and Jeff really wanted a wintry spring wedding!
Wedding Planning – The bride, Virgina of Bluebird Productions
Wedding Week Coordinator – Calluna Events
Catering – ASC Catering
Photography – Robin Proctor Photography
Venue – Private Residence
Videography – KHodge Films
Band – Bobby Yang
Rentals – Event Rents + Bethel Rentals
Lighting and AV – Halcyon Productions
Cake – D’ellisious cakes of Aspen
Hair + Make up – Full Circle Aspen
Transportation – CTS Aspen
Rehearsal Dinner – Caribou Club
Colorado Wedding Planner + Stylist
In what has become one of our favorite traditions it’s time to highlight and recap the year as well as show you our favorite images from our 2012 weddings. Not only does this tradition allow us to look through our weddings and reminisce about all the fun we had, it allows us to be truly humbled and gracious for the opportunities we have all year long.
And it is with that spirit we want to say an enormous thank you; to the brides and grooms we have the honor of working with and all of the incredible wedding vendors in Colorado we had the opportunity to work with throughout the year! Our clients and vendors make what we do truly a joy.
We’ve had our most successful year to date! This year we met and worked with incredible clients who became friends, who we want to stay in touch with and hear their wonderful news. We are grateful to be surrounded by lovely couples who allow us to help them with their wedding plans. We some exciting things in the works for 2013 and we can’t wait to share them with you!
Happy New Year from Calluna Events! From our team to your family, we wish you and yours much love, happiness and best wishes for 2013!
- 2012 marked our 9th year in business!
- We planned nearly 40 events, including weddings, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, non-profit events, showers, anniversary, holiday parties and business events!
- We are nearly finished with a complete brand overall and will be unveiling our brand new website in early January!
- Weddings were planned for an actress, an ultra marathon runner, an attorney, a Pilates instructor, a musician, a teacher, the owners of Tee & Cakes, the co-owner of Anna Be, a psychologist, a world renowned rock climber, a winery owner, a fellow wedding planner colleague, skateboarder, a groom from South Africa and many more!
- We were completely honored to plan an event with Jane Goodall and had the incredible fortune of helping raise a considerable amount of money for the Jane Goodall Institute.
- We hired our 4th Lead Planner who will be starting in January 2013!
- We received the Knot Best of Weddings for the 5thyear in a row.
- We were awarded the Wedding Wire Bride’s Choice Awards 2012.
- We were selected to be a COUTUREColorado LIST Member once again.
- The White List Colorado asked us to be a member of their selected wedding planners.
- We were interviewed for an article on wedding planning in Women’s Day.
- We were selected to be a part of the Blue Label list on Ruffled Blog.
- Once again we are a Little Black Book Member of Style Me Pretty.
- Our weddings were featured on many wedding blogs including COUTUREColorado, Style Me Pretty, Ruffled and GreenWeddingShoes.
- We were interviewed and featured on WeddingLovely, in their Get to Know a Wedding Planner section.
- Heather Dwight was interviewed for the small business section for Yahoo Finance.
- Calluna Events is featured in the Art of the Celebration Colorado coffee table book. The book showcases the best wedding professionals in Colorado.
- We were featured on OneHitchedLane and PaperMoonWeddings, a new wedding blog featuring Colorado weddings.
- Heather Dwight, Calluna Events owner, maintained her Accredited Bridal Consultant status with the Association of Bridal Consultants.
- We renewed our membership with the Association of Bridal Consultants, which we’ve been a member of since 2004.
- We helped plan, as well as attended, the Association of Bridal Consultants annual conference in Denver, Colorado.
- We planned weddings & events in Boulder, Denver, Vail, Aspen, Beaver Creek, Avon, Estes Park, Winter Park, Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, and Lyons, Colorado this year.
- Our wedding with Lauren + Chris was featured in LuxeMountainWeddings.com
- We continued to be listed as a preferred wedding planner at the St. Julien Hotel & Spa, The Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch, Four Seasons Vail, ICONIC Weddings, Beaver Creek Mountain Resorts, Keystone Resorts, Stanley Hotel and Della Terra Mountain Chateau, The Hotel Boulderado and more!
- Our weddings were featured on print publications of Colorado Brides, The Knot Colorado!
- Heather Dwight, Calluna Events Owner, was profiled in The Knot Colorado as one of Colorado’s top wedding planners in their Wedding Planner Dish section.
- We were quoted in wedding articles in the Daily Camera, 5280, The Knot Colorado, Brides Colorado, Brides, Colorado Brides & Babies, Longmont Times-Call and more.
- We had the opportunity to work with over 250 new and talented vendors in the Colorado wedding industry such as photographers, floral designers, bakers and cinematographers and continued to expand our knowledge and relationships with vendor partners to ensure we are providing the best vendor recommendations for our brides.
- We were featured in 5280 Wedding Guide.
- We continued as a member of the Green Bride Guide, the most comprehensive and credible green wedding resource online.
- We attended many industry events and networking opportunities to broaden our knowledge of the industry and met new vendors.
- Two of our events were featured on the brand new COUTUREColorado Baby.
- We planned weddings at private residences, working farms, mountain ranches, 5-star restaurants, hotel ballrooms, historic homes, mountaintops, an art gallery and many other wedding venues.
- We were honored to be asked to plan two top wedding industry brides weddings this year.
- We planned a wedding in three short weeks and another one in just three months, all with the same care and attention to detail we would those with 9-12 months!
Happy New Year and best wishes for 2013!
Gabbie, Heather, Jolene + Spice
Colorado Wedding Planner + Stylist
Classical elegance is timeless and is making its way back into the forefront of weddings around the world. The clean, crisp, and detailed elements of classical elegance captivate the eye and display an overwhelming sense of romance. We love seeing trends and themes come and go and love even more seeing a new twist on a traditional theme!
There are more and more brides who are choosing to opt for a fuller gown that has the envied lace details that send goose bumps through everyone as she walks down the aisle. Although, there are a variety of wedding styles, this is one that will forever remain as a symbol of timeless love. Tall centerpieces, extravagant jewels, neutral tones, and a classy up-do are the essence of a classical elegant wedding.
Just because you are a bride who has embraced the historic presentation of love does not mean that you need to ignore the upcoming trends of 2013. Try applying classical elegance with a trend expected in 2013, a texturized wedding cake. This is a creative way to showcase the beauty of detailed cakes within an elegant presentation. Table centerpieces can also showcase the theme of a wedding in a very powerful manor. For creating a classical elegant centerpiece, use a tall and dramatic centerpiece helping to create a romantic and classy environment for you guests to bask in. The simple yet elegant details such as beading on the back of a gown or the subtle makeup help to create the classical French inspired look of an elegant wedding. Capturing the little details of a classical elegant wedding can be attained through incorporating the modern trends within this romantic wedding theme. Using mint green opposed to other typical elegant colors such as blush for the bridesmaid dresses is another great way to get the best of both worlds.
Here at Calluna, we love how every bride manages to instill the many personal details of her relationship with her future hubby all while capturing the theme the couple wanted. We can’t wait to see many of the details of a classical elegant wedding appear next season!
Colorado Wedding Planner + Stylist
10 reasons why it’s important to “click” with your wedding photographer!
by guest blogger Dana Romanoff of Dana Romanoff Photography.
|"I had such a great connection with this bride (who was my freshman college roommate) and with the entire bridal party that they felt comfortable enough to launch a snowball war on their photographer! All for a good photo. . . !"
This is my seventh year photographing weddings. I’ve documented everything from intimate front porch ceremonies to five star galas, couples saying “I-Do” while jumping out of a plane, skiing off the backside of a mountain and reciting vows by the ocean.
It’s always an honor when a couple invites me into their lives to photograph their wedding. I see my role as both a documentarian, capturing authentic and candid moments, and as an artist who creates beautiful and timeless art to hang on the wall.
What I’ve learned as a wedding photographer is that the better a connection I have with the couple the better the photographs. For me, photography is all about connecting with people. When we have a relationship that means I am invested in you, in your happiness and in getting you the best images. And when you feel a connection to me, you trust me to be a part of your life and capture that once-in-a-lifetime moment.
Here’s why it’s so important to “click” with your wedding photographer:
- You are going to spend a lot of time with the photographer – sometimes more than you even spend with the groom! You should find a photographer whose company you enjoy and who you want to be around.
- In order for your photo panels to look great you have to feel comfortable with the camera. That means you have to feel comfortable with the person behind the camera. An engagement session can help establish that relationship and allow you to be more relaxed. The best photos are when you forget there is a camera even there.
- The photographer will be there capturing intimate moments: putting on your dress, the first look, alone with your new husband. Wouldn’t you prefer your photographer to feel like a friend with a camera rather than paparazzi!
- By knowing you, the photographer can better predict your movements. Sounds creepy, right? But as a photographer we need to predict if you are going to kiss your groom, toast with your girlfriends or bust a move on the dance-floor.
- Photographers have different personalities. Your photographer should be able to match the energy of your wedding. They need to engage you and bring out your personality during portraits but also know when to step back and observe.
- Weddings can be stressful. The last thing you want is your photographer to be stressed and stressing you out! You want to know that the photographer has their job under control and is a calming presence.
- Ladies, it’s not all about us. The photographer needs to also jive well with the guys and guests.
- You want your photographer to know you and be able to read the situation. Does the groom look like he’s going to strangle someone if he takes one more picture? Would you both be happier with a cocktail during portraits? Does your grandma need a chair?
- You need to connect on a professional level as well. The last thing you should be thinking about is “where is the photographer? did they get the shot?” You want to know your photographer is on top of things.
- Your vision and style needs to match. Make sure there is an understanding about what you want your pictures to look like. The photo panels are your memories and you legacy to pass down through the generations.
Thanks Dana for such great insight! And if you are in need of a great photographer Dana is offering complimentary engagement session to any bride who books her wedding with them before February 14, 2013!
Colorado Wedding Planner
“A good snapshot stops a moment from running away”. The wise words of Eudora Welty express the power and beauty within photographs. With so many opportunities today to capture the remarkable and irreplaceable moments of life, photography still reflects the beauty not only in art, but also in people’s day-to-day lives. Looking back at photographs is one of our favorite things to do; it is amazing the feelings that surface as though you are reliving the events as your browse through the captured moments of your life.
The progression of displaying and organizing photo panels has progressed throughout the advancement of various technologies and tools. We have found a company local to Colorado that combines the traditional mindset of scrapbooking with the modern style and approach to organizing photos. Artifact Uprising is a company that produces products similar to what an iBook made though iPhoto could produce; however, it is the mission and beliefs of Artifact Uprising that should be commended. With unique and alternative styling, Artifact Uprising has the ability to produce one of a kind books that manage to tell the stories that have been so artfully captured through photography. We love the clean and modern look that Artifact Uprising produces all while maintaining a product that is unique to each of their clients.
Why else do we love Artifact Uprising? This company has managed to take one of the most devastating environmental problems that Colorado is currently facing and is making good with it. The drive up to the mountains has become one of sadness as we sadly view the hundreds of dead trees that are scattered across the hillside due to the Mountain Pine Beetle that is killing them. Artifact Uprising utilizes the fallen “waste” wood from these trees in producing their products! Along with being environmentally responsible, Artifact Uprising advertises strong beliefs in creativity, community, leaving a legacy, the power of one, passion and authenticity.
These customized books not only are positive for the environment but the options of hard or soft cover, a variety of colors, various display options, and the option of formatting Instagram friendly photo panels gives clients vast amounts of freedom in creating these lifelong treasures. Supporting local businesses in your community is always encouraged and is made so much easier when the products are not only environmentally friendly but are craftily made and truly amazing!
And lastly, the owners of the company are dear friends of ours, good people who we want to support! Support local businesses who are doing good things for your community!
Colorado Wedding Planner + Stylist
We have had a long love affair with Chan Luu scarves for their perfect size, weight and their vibe of luxe with a dash of boho. They are made of 70% cashmere, and 30% silk, and measure approximately 62″ x 58″. Currently available in 10 colors and also animal prints for a bit of an edge. Scarves make great gifts because they always fit, and most women love collecting them. Chan Luu Cashmere & Silk Scarves $ 195, animal prints $ 238.
Buy at Chelsea! Chelsea is a women’s boutique located in Boulder. We love them for their style, attention to detail and down to earth approach to fashion. Free shipping on orders over $ 75!
Colorado wedding planner
Do you wonder how color trends influence weddings? Take a look at Pantone’s Spring 2013 Color report. We are already seeing these colors popping up for next year in our brides’ weddings. In fact we spent part of yesterday curating a board on Pinterest with Monaco Blue and Nectarine (AKA Navy and Apricot) or take a look at our Grayed Jade + Poppy Red board (Mint + Poppy). We love all the fresh new colors popping up in weddings!
Calluna Events :: Colorado Wedding Planner
Penelope + Christopher
Planet Bluegrass :: Lyons, Colorado
Penelope & Christopher met when Penelope was travelling around the country on her own. It was serendipity, meant to be and a perfect match from day one. Penelope and Christopher’s wedding at Planet Bluegrass in Lyons, Colorado was full of fun and livery. They are as authentic, down to earth and as real as they come. I loved worked with Penelope on her vision for the day! The details were completely personal; exuding handmade craftsmanship. Penelope ordered handmade signs on Etsy, a vendor we’ve used for other weddings. The stunning wedding bands were custom made by Todd Reed.
Vibrant wildflower arrangements by eco-friendly Boulder Blooms spilled out across tables. The hot summer sun beat down on us as guests played outdoor games and Kort McCumber and his sister, Beth Wilberger, sang their way into our hearts. Tables were lined with lovely summer pies by Shamane’s Bakeshoppe. Enjoy these images captured by the ever so lovely Regina Mountjoy of Recherche Photography!
Wedding Planner :: Calluna Events
Photographer :: Recherche Photography
Location :: Planet Bluegrass
Caterer :: A Spice of Life Catering
Flowers :: Boulder Blooms
Pies :: Shamane’s Bakeshoppe
Rings :: Todd Reed
Stationery :: The Envelope Please
Wooden Signs :: Etsy
ceremony + cocktail hour musicians :: Kort McCumber + Beth Wilberger
Band :: Moses Jones Band